1896    A group of Swedish Lutheran immigrants, bound together by cultural and religious ties, united for the purpose of worshipping together in the tradition of their homeland. 

1897    The Bethel Swedish Evangelical Church was officially organized, with 27 charter members.  Worship services and other activities were held in a variety of White Plains buildings, including Broadway Presbyterian Church, the Baptist Church on Mamaroneck Avenue, and later at St. Matthew Lutheran Church.

1901    The congregation reorganized under the name of Trinity Swedish Evangelical Lutheran Church.  The next year, congregation members began collecting funds to construct a permanent church building.

1909    A property on Orawaupun Street was purchased for construction of the church building.

1914    The cornerstone was laid, the first Confirmation Class graduated.

1915    The church building on 148 Orawaupun Street was dedicated.   

1916    Trinity’s first pastor, Rev. William R. Frendberg, was called.  Up to this time, the church had been served by students and faculty of Uppsala College in New Jersey.

1930    The English language was first introduced during worship service at Trinity.

1939    A combined choir from Trinity and St Matthew’s Lutheran churches sang at the New York World’s Fair.

1942    The congregation dedicated its pipe organ.  Frank Stewart Adams, a renowned organist and student of Marcel Dupré, played a dedicatory recital.

1947    Trinity celebrated its 50th Anniversary with five of her six former pastors in attendance.  This year also marked the official separation from Emanuel Lutheran Church of Pleasantville, a congregation Trinity helped found.  Up to this time, the two had functioned as separate entities, but under a single church organization.

1952    New property was purchased at the corner of North Street and Bryant Avenue.  A new parsonage at 9 Byron Avenue was also purchased at this time.

1955    The old Swedish church and parsonage at Orawaupun Street were sold to Calvary Baptist Church, which still functions.

1956    Trinity held her final worship on Orawaupun Street, and entered a five year period of crisis and uncertainty.  Unexpected community opposition in the North Street area delayed the construction of the new church building, and Trinity found herself once again without a permanent worship home.  The congregation held together through this difficult time, meeting at the YMCA, Boy Scout Center and  St. Matthew’s Church. A series of legal confrontations prevented the church from beginning construction.

1960    The New York State Court of Appeals finally approved Trinity’s right to build her new home on North and Bryant.  A groundbreaking service was held the cornerstone was laid, and construction began – at last!

1961    The new Trinity Church building, including sanctuary and education wing, was  dedicated to God’s Glory.

1965    The education and parish fellowship wing was named Glad Hall, in honor of a former pastor, the Rev. Carl A. Glad.

1982    Trinity’s 85th Anniversary was celebrated with a special reception, and a display of historic pictures and memorabilia.

1987    Trinity’s 90th anniversary was celebrated.

1993    Trinity Church expanded the use of her facilities, and her methods of outreach, to better serve the neighborhood. In addition to already existing groups such as AA and the White Plains School of Animal Training, Faith (Korean) Church of Westchester began holding worship services in January. In May, TCI Cable aired the first segment of One in Spirit, a half-hour member-produced TV program produced – the only local Lutheran television ministry in metropolitan NY.  The Edna Lillian Roker Adult Day Program opened in July, providing day care for those with Alzheimer’s Disease. Lutheran Family and Community Services opened its Westchester office in August, and the Alzheimer’s Association began holding support group and informational meetings in September.

1997    Trinity celebrated its hundredth anniversary and called its first Synod Deacon.  Two more were added in 1998.

1998    Trinity's Centennial Celebration, October 24, 1998, the attached reprint of our September 1927 Newsletter offered an interesting look back at our beginnings.

2015    Groundbreaking for the new parsonage on the Church property;  photos on our Facebook page, here.